Knox Church

A worshipping and reconciling community centred on Jesus Christ, where ALL are welcome.

Saturday, July 28, 2012

Sermon for 29 July 2012 - with Sandra Turner

Resilience in Vulnerability 2


Readings: Luke 15:11-32; “The Guest House” Jelaluddin Rumi (13th century mystic)


This morning our focus is on the parable traditionally (but rather restrictively) called ‘The Prodigal Son’. There’s more to it than that.
Like the parable of the Good Samaritan, on which we focussed last week, it’s a key parable for Christianity – without these two parables, Christianity would not be the same.[1] And yet (and this is the beauty of parables) even with its critical significance to Christianity, there are multiple ways of interpreting the story. 
Such multiplicity presents not a problem, but boundless gift, as we place our hopes and longings for full, liberated and resilient lives within the Holy Mystery that is God. 
The concept that there is no ‘one official line’, no ‘one correct version’  is not some wishy-washy meaningless liberal concept, but rather an invitation to explore honestly and openly the complexities of life within the much broader complexities of God-ness.
Jesus’ parables were – and still are – exceptionally helpful, because behind them lie everyday life realities.  We have before us, not just a story told by Jesus, but in many ways, ‘our story’ too.  Parables have a way of engaging us within the drama – inviting us to be “a participant, not a spectator, in what is going on”. [2]  Here, we can ‘try on’ and develop various roles; for it doesn’t take much effort to realise that at different times, and in different parts of our lives, we are the younger brother, the elder brother, and the father of this story.  
This morning, we invite you to take your place as an active participant within this well known parable of Jesus – changing roles, questioning and adding to traditional interpretations – and in doing that, opening yourself to different ways of telling your own faith-life story – with all its challenges, complexities and complications.  As we enter this Parable, making it our story, we find both
resilience within our complexities and
alternative personal narratives –
all held within the much bigger, even more complex, story of the Source of all Being in whom we live and in whom we may flourish. 
It’s most commonly known as the Parable of the Prodigal Son.  A familiar story – a dominant story – of a prodigal – a selfish wastrel –demanding what is not his to have – spending it all on riotous frivolous living – and, when the money runs out, turning penitent – returning home to the all loving father.  We might hope we would never act like this prodigal….

Hang on here. What about
Prodigal son
·        This was my OE. I needed to breathe, I am an adventurer at heart. I wanted to see the world. Staying here I would have suffocated
·        Teenagers and young men ask – that’s what we do. We want to be out in the world doing stuff. It wasn’t such a big thing to ask for some help from the family. You could have said no and maybe that would have been good for me – maybe.
·        Do you think it has all been a bed of roses? I’ve worked in foreign lands where I’ve been on my own and I’ve not known the language. There have been times when I was very lonely but I kept going.
·        You say I squandered everything and lived a debauched life. But you don’t know what happened. You haven’t even asked. You have listened to what others have said and made up your mind. Life is more complicated than just one thing.
·        I have come back knowing more about life than if I had stayed here in the village. I know what it is to be with your back against the wall. I’ve come home not expecting anything.
·        This is all a bit over the top – the big feast and all - though I am relieved there is still a place for me here in this family.
It’s not that black and white…

Occasionally, it’s been called the parable of the Lost Son and Lost Brother.  A familiar story – a dominant story – the Elder Son – the stay at home, bitter, jealous and resentful one –  refusing to welcome his younger brother – angry with both his father and his brother – knowing he’s missed out, been mis-treated – and it is just not fair.  We don’t particularly like his response …but perhaps we understand it most…

Hang on here. What about
Eldest son
·        I know I’m not an adventurer, I don’t have it in me the way my brother does.
·        It has suited me to stay at home, I need the familiar, to know where I belong
·        Yet I envy my brother for being able to get away. I wish I were more a bit like him. I like the regular, to know where I stand and what the rules are. I am obedient. This way of living suits me.
·        I need recognition too – it’s hard being taken for granted. I’m a hard worker, I don’t often ask for much. Yet I have become used to not getting much recognition. Dad only sees me when something hasn’t been done properly.
·        Fairness is a value I live by. So when he came home and got treated like a prince I really lost it. I ranted and I know what I said was extreme. Accusing him of devouring your property with prostitutes was a bit over the top
·        I want you all to see me too
It’s not that black and white…

It’s sometimes known as the Parable of the Forgiving Father.    It’s a familiar story – a dominant story – a story about a generous and loving father, mistreated and misunderstood by both his sons – and yet, consistently, constantly and compassionately accepting and embracing them – to the extent that he will open up his purse, his home and his heart to them, no matter what.   The Parable of the forgiving, giving and welcoming father.  We can only dream that we might be like that….

Hang on here. What about considering this:
Father
·        I’ve been too focused on work and I can see that I’ve made mistakes. I didn’t mean to hurt anyone
·        I didn’t see that my eldest needed recognition
·        I don’t see that my actions are inequitable
·        I am ready to welcome my son home, despite what others say about him. There are those who want me to punish and push him away. I’ll not do it.
·        I’ve made mistakes too but I’ll not make that one. I know this place.
·        My family is more important than holding a grudge
It’s not that black and white…

And those are the characters of the story … unless of course you want to think about the fatted calf …

Hold on here.

What about me - Mother
·        I have missed this son so much. I didn’t want him to go but I knew he needed to. He is an adventurer at heart; he has to breathe, to be himself.
·        I wish my eldest had some of the adventurer in him. I wish he would stand up to his dad sometime and get what he needs. He’s not really angry with his brother – he’s angrier with his father.
·        I don’t have much influence in this family. I haven’t learnt to have my voice – I tend to keep myself in the background.  I love them all and I know we’re not perfect. We could do things better – all of us.

The story ends with no happily ever-after line; we don’t know if the anger continued to be nursed, or if there was reconciliation … and does that matter? 

What are the stories that you tell? Is it the dominant story, the cliché one or do you get interested in finding out about the bigger story, the back ground story, the untold story? Finding out more, giving up the established and known story requires humility in all of us. It requires us each to live with the complexity of our lives. 
No one ever actually knows all of what happened.

The lingering question is ‘where are you?’  Are you inside joining in the celebration, stuck outside hearing the music and dancing but too angry and resentful to go in, silent and voiceless in your pain?  Can other perspectives enable you to move? 
And even more challenging, how comfortable are you with a God who is this foolish?  Can you cope with a complex God …whose love is so extravagant and un-calculating; who gives the freedom, bears the pain, aches in the despair and is so indulgent of human failing as this?[3]  For it is in this complex God, that our hope for resilience lies.



[1] Brendan Byrne, The Hospitality of God (2000) p.127
[2] Byrne p.8
[3] Byrne p.131-132.

No comments:

Post a Comment